Ripleigh Go Bragh

Ripleigh Go Bragh
Connemara stallion Ripleigh Go Bragh

Thursday, January 12, 2012

What if you could grow-down instead of growing up?

In Norton Juster's Phantom Tollbooth there are a race of people who start life floating in the air because they spend their lives growing to the ground instead of up to their final height.  This way their perspectives never have to change as they grow taller.

I used to think this was an amazingly clever idea, until I noticed that most people's perspectives don't change as much as one would think. 

I'm thinking of the less literal usage of the phrase.  As in the "what do you want to be when you are a grown-up?"

I'm sick of growing up.  It is too much work, it is hard and there is no final destination.  There are some great rewards, the best being the fact that when you go to a candy store you can buy all you want, you don't have to ask for permission AND you can eat it all before dinner. 

I've decided I am going to grow-down from now on.  Enough of this uphill battle against gravity, time, myself and everything else.  My butt is sagging, my skin is sagging, everything is trying to give me the message:

GROW-DOWN ALL READY!  jeesh...

No comments:

Post a Comment